Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Whole LGBT Legislation Issue

Is it just me or has the whole world gone crazy.  Listen, I don't care what your sexuality is, I don't care what you practice at home.  What I do care about is my children and their rights.  Just as much as you care about yours.

So here's the whole ball of wax in a nutshell the NDP government in Alberta has set up legislation that allows the LGBT community a wide assortment of rights in schools here in Alberta.  It's a great and it's long winded and seriously if you really want to know about it go look it up because if you haven't heard about it yet, well you have your head in the sand.

So, there's a whole bunch of blah, blah, blah let them be who they are whatever which is great and should have already been happening.

Then there's this,  a LGBT person can use either a private bathroom (awesome they should have that choice) or the bathroom of the gender they feel they most relate to ... ahem.  Ok, well that's not horrible after all half the time in the girls bathroom you don't know who's in the stall next to you anyway it could truly be anybody.

An LGBT person can also use the change room of the gender they most relate too..... woops! What?   See that means that a transgender, a lesbian, a gay, or a bisexual can use the girls/boys change room.  Since most schools under grade 5 don't use change rooms for gym that doesn't matter and at that age really most of those kids could care less.  

And really none of this should matter if it is regulated properly. The problem isn't in the need to allow people the right to choose it's the way it's worded.  Again, none of this should matter if it's handled and regulated properly.  For instance offer stalls in the change rooms then it won't matter who is using them because there is a certain amount of privacy in stalls.  Not just any stalls by the way but floor to ceiling and no cracks stalls.  It's going to take longer to get changed for gym but this is the price the schools, the student's, the teachers and parents will pay for this legislation.  I guess to combat this children will have to start school at 8:00 a.m. and go to 4:00 p.m. What's the matter with that?  I think its a fair price to pay if a girl with a penis or a boy who is bisexual, or a boy who identifies with his female side wants to share my 12 year old girl who identifies as a girl's bathroom and change room.

I also want to point out that a boy who is transgender, bisexual or gay and identifies as female can also join the girls sports teams.  This is OK right no problems there you think.  I agree this should be OK but I can see someone taking advantage of this part of the legislation and putting ringers on their team.  Now, hopefully all things being equal most coaches or teams are ethical.   It should work that way but you know that someone, somewhere is going to try.  How do you call someone out on that?  How can you prove it?  It's just me thinking ahead it doesn't mean it will happen but it could, couldn't it?  So how are they going to regulate this and ensure each school treats this legislation ethically. 

When I first read some of this legislation I have to admit I was very worried and very concerned but rather than offer a knee jerk reaction (well maybe I did but partially) I decided to read what others were writing and listen to what others were saying.  I have to admit it was interesting reading and it has shifted some of my views but the bottom line for me is how this legislation will be regulated.  I feel greatly for the schools that must implement this legislation as I do not think this will be an easy adjustment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment