Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Puppy


So this is the puppy he's a Bichon Yorkie mix, isn't he cute? His name is ... wait for it... "ZEUS" yup pretty big name for such a bitty dog. Yeah, Yeah I know there are "Real" dog people out there who would not consider my puppy to be a real dog. Take my sister for instance she loves my puppy but she has "real" dogs, a German Shorthair Pointer and a Springer Spaniel.

However, I am not really a dog person, it's not the dog per se it's the poop issue. I can change poopy diapers, I can clean up vomit I can do all that but my gag reflex when it comes to puppy poop is huge, HUGE ergo small dog small poop less of an issue so that's my reason for a small dog and I'm sticking to it.

We got the puppy because for the last three years my son, Boy Wonder, has begged and pleaded and begged some more for a dog (all you parents know what's about to happen don't you ... I can see the smirks on your faces oh yeah). I have denied this request for three years until this year when I figured he was old enough now to handle some responsibilities of owning a dog. Have you ever explained how much work a puppy would be to a 10 year old? For some reason they think (no matter what you tell them) that the dog is going to come fully trained and be just like "Lassie" (insert laughter here).

Boy Wonder does not think he has to walk the dog or train the dog he should just "know" not to pee or poop inside ummmm yeah so not happening. Boy Wonder is paranoid he thinks the dog is out to get him because Zeus nips at him and tries to attack his legs (well hello don't run from the puppy son and he won't chase and nip at you). Everything, everything we have told him has gone in one ear and out the other Boy Wonder gets exceedingly upset with Zeus and has decided the puppy does not like him. Boy Wonder also doesn't realize that Zeus feeds off his emotions so that every time he gets upset the puppy reacts even more. Since it is Boy Wonders responsibility to walk the dog (I am the lucky person who gets to get up with the dog in the morning to let him out to pee) he needs to learn how to do this and there is a valuable and important life lesson involved in accepting the responsibility of the dog he's not going to get off scott free not in this house. So what's a good mom to do?

I hired a dog trainer to come in and give us tips and tricks and help show the kids how to handle Zeus. This is always a good idea it helps reinforce (from an outside source and someone with apparently more authority than you, the parent) what the kids should be doing to teach the dog how to live in your home. So she came yesterday, a lovely lady, with some good common sense advice, some of which we have already put into place and some which we have to adjust to. However, the upside to all this is Boy Wonder actually listened to her and so did Diva W now we just have to reinforce all the lessons she taught the kids (and me by the way did you know you shouldn't pick up that really cute adorable lump of fuzzy fur and snuggle it like a baby (I knew that) but really he's cute and those eyes are killers but no more snuggles I need to be the pack leader here, the boss) oh the fun we will have.

Boy Wonder walked the dog yesterday and didn't come back to the house angy and upset, this is a good start.

So a little piece of advice if you are thinking of getting a puppy for your children.....DON'T, Don't do it, not unless you want job of caring for the dog on your own or you are willing to fight tooth and nail to have your children learn the responsibilites of owning a pet.

Peace Out
Bonnie

1 comment:

  1. I left an award for you on my blog :o)

    Ash
    www.3princesand1princess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete